As of August 5, 2020, services are available at the Consulate General, but mostly by appointment. Alternatives for certain services are available. Stay home, use the Consulate at Home platform.
COLLECTION OF DOCUMENTS IS AVAILABLE DAILY BETWEEN 9 AND 11 AM ONLY. YOUR PUNCTUALITY IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
The Consulate General of Portugal in Toronto is pleased to inform that Mr. José Manuel de Jesus Carneiro Mendes has assumed the role of Consul General of Portugal to the Provinces of Ontario and Manitoba and the Territory of Nunavut on August 31 2020.
Former lawyer, licensed by the Faculty of Law (Legal and Economic Sciences), University of Lisbon, Dr. José Manuel Carneiro Mendes, entered the diplomatic career at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MNE) in 1992, where he held a wide variety of positions, namely that of Coordinator of the Working Group created for the computerization of the Portuguese Consular Network;
After stays at the Diplomatic Missions of Portugal in Caracas, Sarajevo and Kiev, as the legal substitute for the Head of Mission, he also held the position of Head of Caucasus Affairs, during the periods of the Portuguese Presidency and troika (2001/2002/2003) in the Permanent Mission of Portugal to the OSCE in Vienna; Director of the Department of Professional Studies and Training Coordination in the General Directorate of Public Administration, in the Ministry of Finance; Head of the Dispensations and Privileges Division in the State Protocol Services of the MNE; Director of Services of Patrimonial and Expedient Administration in the General Department of Administration of MNE.
Most recently, he held the position of Chargé d'Affaires at the Portuguese Embassy in Islamabad (Pakistan), Consul General of Portugal in Düsseldorf and, now, Consul General of Portugal in Toronto.
Dr. José Manuel Carneiro Mendes is married to Maria do Céu Carneiro Mendes, with whom he has a son, Eduardo, 22 years old.
NOTICE - Reopening of the Consulate General
Following the guidelines of the Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto, the Consulate General of Portugal in Toronto reopened to the public on August 5th 2020.
Thus, to ensure the protection of patrons, employees and their families, the following measures will be implemented:
- The majority of consular acts are carried out by appointment only through the Portuguese Communities Portal;
- Only 9 people allowed inside the premises at the same time, so we ask that you arrive at the Consulate General no more than 10 minutes before the scheduled appointment;
- As determined by building management, in order to guarantee a healthy distance between visitors, there is a limited number of people allowed in the lobby and in the elevators. Please make certain to appear on the day and at the appointed time;
- The use of a mask is mandatory for all users;
- The presence of companions is only allowed in justifiable circumstances (accompanying minors, the elderly and people with disabilities);
- The collection of documents, which does not require prior scheduling, takes place in the morning, from 9 am to 11 am;
- Information requests are made exclusively by phone 416 217 0966, by email or by consulting the Consulate General's website.
The following consular acts do not require prior appointment:
- Collection of passports citizen cards and other documents;
- Document translations (to be returned by mail);
- Certification of signatures on documents issued by Public Notaries;
- Certification of original official Ontario documents;
- Proof of Life certificates.
Users are invited to visit the CONSULATE AT HOME platform on the Consulate-General's website, where a considerable range of consular acts are available by mail, without prior appointment or travel.
Economia & Turismo
Língua Portuguesa & Cultura
Sociedade, Diáspora & Associativismo